Sunday, August 8, 2010

Welcome

How many times during mass do you wish you could raise your hand and ask the deacon or priest to repeat themselves? Maybe it's because your kids were distracting you or you were thinking about the previous point? I know it wouldn't be because your mind was drifting or anything! Or maybe later when you get home something they said is playing your head but you can't completely remember every word - or you can only think of a part of it and want to know what the homilist's complete thought was -in context.

I have a horrible memory. There are so many times I get home from mass and want to listen to bits and pieces of the homily I heard that morning.

Well, I am particularly lucky to be related to one of my favorite preachers! He's my dad! He is an ordained permanent deacon in the Roman Catholic church. I love listening to him preach as he truly has a gift.

So, this morning after a particularly moving homily, I asked him to tape it so that I could type it out and post it along with the audio version. That way I can go back to it as many times as I want! And so can others.

Now, just to be confusing, the first homily I'm posting is not from this morning. A few weeks ago he used an example about my husband, Doug, and Doug's dad in his homily. He taped it so I could send it on to my father-in-law so that he could hear it. I am working on getting the one from today done but it definitely won't be tonight!

Please know that I am not a typist, English teacher, or anything like that. I'll do the best I can to type exactly what he says...and to get the punctuation as perfect as possible...but I may have to take some "artistic" license when translating what he speaks to written word. Sometimes it might not be "exact" word for word but I certainly won't change what he is saying...if that makes any sense. On the flip side, sometimes when I type what he is saying, it might not be perfect grammar. So just bear with me on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment